Tuesday 12 February 2008

WONDERFUL NEWS!

I came home to some luscious and truly exciting news this evening! I knew, as soon as I walked into the living room to see the glow on Hubby's face, that he was going to burst if he didn't tell me something at once. Eldest Step-daughter is getting married! Not only that but Eldest Stepdaughter is pregnant! And I suppose before I go any further that I ought to tell you a little bit more about my relationship with Hubby's two lovely girls.

Very briefly, I met them when they were ten and six (they are now both in their thirties) and Hubby introduced me to them as 'the lady who writes the stories'. This was a few months before we started going out together and he and his wife had already been separated for three years or so. He was raising the children with a huge amount of help and support from his parents and, luckily for me, I got on with both children from Day One. Consequently, I watched them grow, took them to school, helped them with homework, picked them up from school and watched their transition from beautiful children into beautiful young women, married women and finally mothers, and I love them both with all my heart.

Hubby and I knew each other for around seven months before we began to go out together and by the time we did, we were already good friends. We didn't get engaged for over ten years and it was another six before we got married. During that time Eldest Step-daughter had married and divorced and brought a lovely baby boy into the world - not in that order, I hasten to add - and met her soulmate. When the baby was twenty-four hours old, she handed him to me with the words "Say hello to your grandma." and I have been his granny ever since.

Never a day goes by when I don't thank God for my two step-daughters and the beautiful grandchildren they have given us. To find out that the eldest one is now marrying and expecting a new baby as well is just the best news and we are over the moon. The wedding is in April and the baby is due in August. Good news or what - even if it was the last thing I expected to hear today!

So there you go - I am about to become a granmaother for the fourth time. Not bad for a fifty year old post-menopausal old girl, wouldn't you agree?

Catch you soon.

4 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Congratulations!

Nik

JILLS said...

Thank you Nik. Have a good week!
Jill

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Fabulous news Jills. You brought a wee tear to my eye. How lovely that you are all so close. But then you do sound like a special person anyway. Hugs!

JILLS said...

Thank you MOB. I am glad you are so much better - you have really had a rough few weeks.

Keep in touch - and let me know how you get on with the book!
Jills