Wednesday 5 March 2008

A FIVER'S WORTH OF LUCK?

How was your Mother's Day? Middle and Youngest Sisters and I - plus the three youngest nephews - gathered at Mother's on Sunday afternoon for a Family Tea. Husbands three were all working and unable to make it (well, that was their story!) - but it was actually really nice - just the four of us (the three boys ran about like bombs on legs all afternoon, howling, giggling and squealing)enjoying each other's company. We sat round Mother's little kitchen table, picking at the giganticus buffet Mother had put on (despite being told not to and that we'd all bring a contribution) which concluded with a spoon a piece diving into the chocolate gateaux - and oh, it was scrummy! It made a pleasant change and Mother enjoyed it which was the main thing - although she did complain a bit about the amount of food left over (her fault entirely, she should have just let us bring our contributions!) - and the gateaux was to die for, so who's complaining?



On my way into the office yesterday morning, I looked down and spotted a perfectly healthy five pound note lying on the ground. No-one else had seen it and certainly no-one was looking for it so I picked it up and put it in my pocket. I am aware there is a moral dillema here - was I right to keep it? Or should I have handed it in at the police station? Or - having found it - was I morally obliged to give it to charity? Will I burn in hell for buying two cups of coffee with it? Answers on a postcard please ...



In truth that little fiver made me smile because finding it made me feel as if someone else was smiling at me. And it boosted my morale (if not my morals) because I have been going through a major identity crisis the past few days. I think this is because my working life and writing life are coverging into one gigantic unmanageable monster. I need 48 hours in every 24 - and it just isn't going to happen. Yesterday, for example, I worked all day then went home and worked on the new book for nearly three hours. I know millions of other writers have to do the same thing - but, boy is it tiring or what? And tonight will be the same. So much for me finding a part time job! There just aren't that many about and what there is gets snapped up in the blink of an eye. It is very draining, all this! But I will manage somehow. Why? Because fate handed me a five pound note when I least expected it, that's why. At least that is what I am telling myself.

I am sneakily finishing this post during a quiet five minutes at work. In approximately thirty minutes I am going out to meet Mother for lunch - she has made a full recovery by the way - and she has insisted that she will pay today and I am going to let her - as I do once in a blue moon - because she seems to like being able to occasionally.

So I am going to sign off for now. Have a good afternoon one and all!

1 comment:

Marla D said...

Lol.."Scuse me officer..I dropped a fiver down the high street smorning..has it been handed in?"
I wouldn't be waiting for a slap of heavy karma on that one..though the barista deserves one at £2.50 a throw ;) x