Wednesday 14 November 2007

MAYDAY .... MAYDAY ....

I finally got to the doctor on Monday morning. I actually tried to get an appointment on the way home on Friday last week. I said they had a three-days-in-advance thing, didn't I? Despite the fact I felt like shit and should be given priority because I am asthmatic, the earliest they could get me in was Monday morning at 9.30. I did mean to go into work straight afterwards but, having been told I have a 'viral infection', plus the fact my throat was sore and my head felt like it had ten tons of rock rolling about in it, I realised as soon as I left the surgery that I really couldn't face the office. So I turned round and went home. Spent the day snuggled up on the sofa with a quilt and Cat and daytime TV (Loose Women. Bargain Hunt - quite sad really). I felt a bit better by Monday evening so wrote my scathing criticism of Sky, but then went into work yesterday morning feeling really rough again. I must have looked it, too, the amount of comments people made.

I feel quite a lot better today. Met Hubby for coffee at Costa's and showed him the email I received at the office yesterday from a local radio station. They want to interview me about the book - live on air - the Sunday after next. This is good news. I know it is only a small, local hospital radio station but it is a start. Hopefully it will bode well for the future. I have now also sent Press Packs out to the Telegraph, the Times and the national Guardian as well as Rolf Harris ('far too busy to comment but wishes you well') and Vanessa Feltz (no repsonse as yet but I live in hope). Someone somewhere will take this book seriously soon, I swear. I haven't been a writer all my life only to see my first children's book sink into oblivion because no-one considers it important. That's like asking Richard Branson to stop being an entrepreneur, Richard and Judy to stop talking about Books (since they won't talk about mine!!!!) and the Queen to stop being a monarch. It simply cannot be.

Last year I was asked to do a talk at a local Writer's circle. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was passionate about my subject. The members listened,clinging to every word I said. They gave me a standing ovation. I was congratulated by everyone afterwards. Hubby had come along and the pride glowing in his eyes as I spoke and answered questions was truly breathtaking to see. But as we made our way home afterwards he said to me "Why do you look so sad? That went incredibly well!" I explained it was because I felt like a fraud. He asked me to explain what I meant and I couldn't. I just said "I don't feel like a real writer." He replied "You are a real writer. How can you think otherwise?"

The disinterest shown by the media in this crucial, ground-breaking book leaves me sad and feeling fraudulant again. All writers believe in their work - which is good. And all writers want the best publicity they can get for their work. I am not saying my book is better than anyone's else's, because it isn't. But I do think it deserves more interest purely because of the environmental element and yet .... and yet ...

So even if Radio Mayday are small and localised, I welcome this opportunity. And just ask that a few others can follow suit. I don't think I am asking too much to want the best for Yucketypoo. It just makes me feel sad that so few others can see its potential ......

4 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Hope you feel better soon - sending hugs! Nice to know another Loose Women fan too, tee hee ...

And huge good luck with the book - all mine sink into oblivion, in spite of good reviews, so I'm used to it by now. I hope yours does better for you though!

:))

A
xxx

JILLS said...

Thank you Anne, you are like a breath of fresh air. I don't like to be a grouse but I get so frustrated. I didn't expect to go straight to the best seller list - I just want it read.

Never mind - we live to fight another day.

Hugs back..
Jill

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I just read this post after your last one. radio Mayday - mayday Hospital? Some of the younger family members were born there many moons ago. Reading your blog takes me down memory lane. I will add you to my links as I love the easy way that your writing flows and keeps me interested.

Chin up over the book. Remember the old saying that the harder you work the luckier you get. YOU WILL get there in the end.

Another Loose woman fan here too.

JILLS said...

Yes - I am referring to Radio Mayday at the hospital in London Road. I had a series of children's stories broadcast on there some time ago and I am so pleased they have asked me to go in and talk about Yuck.

I am pleased you like my writing. I do love to entertain with words - it is what I have always done!

I have added your link to my blog, too. What is your name? I can't keep calling you MOB!
Jills