Friday 12 October 2007

MAN FLU FOR WOMEN

I am not feeling well today. I felt quite headachey and feverish all yesterday afternoon and by seven o'clock last night this had developed into the most horrendous stiff neck you can imagine. I went to bed around 10pm but it was damn near impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep in, despite the fact I'd smothered the affected area in ralgex! I eventually drifted off but it was no better by the time I got up this morning so I have been taking strong ibuprofen in an effort to ward it off. It recommends two tablets every four hours and I took my first dose at eight this morning. By twelve my neck was screaming out in pain again. Do these tablets have a miniscule four-hour timer in them?

The fact I am under the weather may explain why I was so grouchy last time I wrote. It is so unusual for me to get grouchy that I should know by now that if I am displaying behaviour of the grouchy kind, it usually means I am going down with something. Another sure sign is the fact that my hands go red hot, and I've got them as well so I should have just braced myself.

The infuriating thing is that Hubby and I have got a concert to go to tomorrow (Queen tribute). Just how am I going to clap my hands during Radio GaGa if my neck protests loudly at every jerky move no matter how slight? Even swallowing was agony earlier! And I promised Hubby dinner out this evening because it's been three weeks since his birthday and, apart from a card, he's had nothing else from me to celebrate (although this is largely due to the fact we were sure we'd find something in Scotland that would make a suitable gift and we didn't - but then we were out in the sticks so maybe I shouldn't be surprised). If I take a dose of pills just before I head off home, hopefully I'll be okay for eating out. Fingers crossed anyway.

Maybe the fact I'm a bit poorly also explains how I came to seriously piss off my publisher yesterday? I wouldn't say we fell out because we both know there's too much at stake, but a heated email exchange did take place. Any other writers out there - is this a common occurrance? Answers on a postcard please.

The good news is that, after repeated attempts, the local paper has finally picked up about the book and want to run a profile in next week's paper. Maybe Paul O'Grady, This Morning and Metro will pick up on it next?

And maybe women suffer from Man-flu too?

2 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Nik xx

JILLS said...

Thank you, Nik, always good to hear from you!
Beanie