Thursday 12 November 2009

YUCK ROCKS AMERICA .......

I was chuffed to get a text message from Sarah the Publisher the other day advising me to check out a review of Yuck 1 written by someone in AMERICA! How exciting is that? Take a look for yourself - the link is http://www.literacylaunchpad.blogspot.com/ and it was written as part of a scheme to get 100 bloggers to review 100 'great books' printed in an environmentally friendly way! It makes me blush to relate that the reviewer's kind words and complete understanding of the whole concept of Yucketypoo damn near brought a tear to my unpracticed eye! It reminded me just how proud I am of it! I so want it to become read worldwide because its message does affect the entire world! In fact I can't believe it hasn't reached more people yet because it is just so completely unique! There is nothing else like it on the market - even its sequels are totally different - but, as hard as I have tried to get someone of note to comment on it, it still remains something of a non-entity. Ah well - good things come to those who wait, I guess. And getting a review from America is but definitely a step in the right direction.

You know it is astonishing just how much better I have felt about myself as a writer since I became unemployed. It is the one thing that stabilises my mental and emotional well-being; when I have got a pen in my hand I become somebody else, somebody with passion and meaning. So it will come as no surprise to anyone that I have gingerly taken up the pen (and the laptop) again in between signing on, filling out endless streams of application forms and attending interviews. I have started to make notes and squiggles again and two days ago made a significant start on draft one of my local interest book. I also found out, quite by chance the other day, that I'd had a poem published in The Daily Mail! Plus I have two others appearing in anthologies over the next couple of months, all of which bodes rather well for the future, methinks!

Watch this space. The Writer ain't beat yet ......

3 comments:

Ritta Rabbit said...

BRAVO, MAYBE ALL THE THINGS WE THOUGHT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO STRIVE FOR WEREN'T AS FULFULLING AS THE THINGS WE WERE MEANT TO DO. THIS CRAPPY ECONOMY JUST FORCED US TO FACE THAT. MAYBE WRITING IS YOUR GIFT (OR I LIKE TO THINK OF GIFTS AS OPPORTUNITIES). YOUR WRITTEN WORKS WILL LAST A LOT LONGER THAN YOUR SPREADSHEETS. NO PAY IN MONETARY WAYS BUT FREEING ALL THE SAME.

Jills said...

Thanks Ritta. you are so right. Someone said the other day "If you are a writer what on earth are you doing a job for?" I said simply "Because, unless you are J K Rowling or Philp Pulman, writing doesn't pay!" Yet still we carrying on writing day after day, year after year. I appreciate you reading my blog. I shall take a look at yours.
All the best for 2010.

Area 17 said...

.
Look forward to more posts Jills! ;-)

I'll down your way, i.e. Surrey, in April, leading a residential course, has two places left. ;-)

course details:
Claridge House Residential Writing Course "Poetry the haiku way"


all my very best,

Alan
Alan's events blog
.