Sunday 8 November 2009

OUT ON A LIMB - NOT!!!

I am so, so, so sorry to have abandoned you but you just will not believe what is going on in my life now! Talk about Eastenders - I tell you, Albert Square has nothing on me! After months of harping on about how much I loathe, detest, despise and hate my job, guess what? I've been made redundant! Really! I left the Friday before last. It all happened in the space of four weeks - from the first email being sent roItalicund to everyone to me walking out of the door for the last time. What a relief! I'm serious! Now don't think for a second I am being flippant here. I know how serious redundancy can be (let's face it, I have been through it before) and, despite the fact here are loads of jobs out there, here I am, a week or so later still job-hunting, still filling out application forms and checking jobsites every day - and yet still so pleased that I am no longer stuck in that bloody office!

Within the first week I had secured two second-stage interviews but neither amounted to anything and since then - zilch, zip, nil, zero. It isn't through lack of trying either. I have kept strict records and the number of jobs applied for so far totals 26! I am so sick of application forms that they are coming back to haunt my sleep night after night - the same questions, the same layout, the same everything. Only the company names are different, everything else is identical. Weren't CVs supposed to put an end to all this? I am not joking, when I complained of writer's cramp one day last week as I filled out a form I had picked up ten minutes before, Hubby snorted with laughter and said "Don't tell me you've got writer's cramp; you're a writer! How can you have it already, you are not even half way through that form!"

Now don't think he hasn't been Loving Supportive Hubby personified because he has. He has lifted my spirits every time I have started to flag and, if anything, seems horrified that I haven't been snapped up by somebody already. I feel kind of sad sometimes though because I know that if we could afford it, he would tell me to stop wasting my time looking for jobs and start using my time to knock up the odd bestseller or two. It is the one thing he hasn't been able to give me in all the years we have been together and I know that really bothers him.

I have decided to be more constructive with my writing during this time, though. After all there are only so many jobs, so many application forms and so many phonecalls I can actively pursue at any one time and the fact I am not stuck in front of a computer for eight hours during the day means that getting back to the laptop in the evenings has become enjoyable again. Hence my first blog in - ooo - weeks!

Watch this space; I have a feeling I will be back sooner rather than later. And keep your fingers crossed for me that some wicked commission comes my way which will pay me a packet and render the jobhunt - well, redundant ...

No comments: