Wednesday 25 March 2009

ROLL UP ROLL UP - BOOK SIGNING IS ON ...

Had a meeting yesterday at a local church who are holding a craft fair on 11 July. I spotted the sign on the gate last Saturday and - being the new ultra-confident me - instantly saw the potential. I rang the number straight away and left a message. By five pm, I'd been invited for an informal chat. "What do you do?" asked Jackie the organiser. "I write children's books," I replied. There was a moment of silence before she said "That's different! Usually people tell me they make birthday cards!" Got to meet her yesterday and paid my £10.00 deposit for a table. The plan is to set it up as 'local writer makes good' and obviously to sell - and sign - as many books as I possibly can! I have already spoken to Sarah the Publisher about obtaining a stock of Yucketypoo books, and she has also graciously agreed to supply me with any posters and flyers I need. It is all extremely exciting! So - if you can get to St Michael and All Angels Church in Poplar Walk, Croydon (there is a car park next door), on Saturday 11 July between 10.00 and 2.30, then come along, say hello - and meet Yucketypoo!

Tomorrow sees me being taken out for lunch by the gentleman with whom I am developing ideas for a local interest book. I have been jotting notes ever since our first meeting three weeks ago and I am more convinced than ever that we are onto something massive here; mainly because he is as enthusiastic and excited about it as I am. And he wants to fund it. I mean how cool is that? I will come back with another update on this as soon as I can.

Still haven't heard about the commission but I was told by another company yesterday that I am 'first on the list' if anything suitable comes up on the ghost-writing route so that's another option. Do you know what else I have done? Suggested a Poet in Residence scheme to one of the major coffee house chains. I do so much writing in Coffee shops (as I am sure I have said before) - and so do lots of other people - so I will keep persuing this until they respond.

Finally - before I dash off - I am going to set up another blog to run in tandem with this one which will mainly showcase my haiku and tanka so keep your eyes peeled.

And please, please, PLEASE get hold of a copy of The Choice by Og Mandino. Read and devour it because it will convince you - as it did me - that the power of choice can be enormous. I chose in January this year to live my writing dream. And I am.

1 comment:

JILLS said...

Just to let you know that I have now set up a brand new Haiku blog. It is the closest I can get to a decent website (thank you Google Blogspots) and I have already uploaded a dozen or so haiku, so please feel free to take a look at:
http://awaywithwords-jills.blogspot.com/