Wednesday 16 April 2008

WHAT'S A WRITER TO DO?

I really don't get it. How come I have to have a major clear-out every few months just so I can get into my study and write? I filled a huge black sack with unwanted rubbish a couple of evenings ago and produced a bin and a half full of shredded letters, receipts, circulars - all of which had mysteriously accumilated in my little sanctuary of creation without my knowledge. Having made it a safe and clear space again, my intention last night was to go in and write, write, write. So why did I spend the evening watching Tom Hanks in Castaway on BBC 3? Okay - so it just happens to be one of my favorite films and he just happens to be (in my humble opinion) one of the world's most talented and enduring character actors (and a personal favorite of mine I have to admit). But I have the DVD sitting up on the shelf, so why watch it on TV?. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

I think it is actually because I am a little bit out on a limb just now. The third and final Yuck book is finished and with Sarah the Publisher and the second in the series is almost complete - I saw the cover art last week by Ashley the Illustrator and it all made it kind of real. It looks as if the second one will be published this autumn and the third one next year some time. All exciting stuff. But of course now the series is written, what do I do next? I don't have an actual project - just about a million and a half ideas. I went to the London Book Fair with Hubby on Tuesday in search of inspiration. I think I overdosed on it. I couldn't help it! There were new books and publishers' catalogues and publicists and fellow writers at every turn and I came away fired up - so fired up in fact that I am still smouldering with exhileration.

I guess now would be the right time to stand back and take stock of things really. I am still in my utterly thankless PA job - I never dreamt in January that I would still be looking for a new job come mid-April - with no sign of change even on the horizon. I still desperately need Time to go out and publicise the Yucketypoo series properly. On top of all that, another publisher has asked for the first three chapters of my historic novel - which I haven't even started yet ( I did not expect such a fast response from them when I emailed last week to ask if they would be interested in it) and there are slow uneasy rumblings within the company where I am working where words such as 'cut-backs' and 'redundancy' are making distant (but palpable) unhappy echos. I haven't mentioned this to Hubby yet as rumblings they still are, and I know he would only start to panic.

So what's a writer to do? At least I am no longer in the depths of despair. I am in turmoil for other reasons. So. Do I start the historic novel? Do I get back to my poetry (which is my real purpose of being)? Do I take the first job that comes along per chance the unhappy rumblings become reality?
Or do I just wait and see what transpires? Any ideas? Or commissions?

Answers on a postcard please...

5 comments:

slippingthroughtheworld said...

start the novel jp! you know you want to. x

Marla D said...

Hugs Jilly..yes, start the novel! I know what you mean ( not just about Tom Hanks :) )..my teenager broke the wifi last Tuesday, and dial-up seems to have severely affected my ability to write! With the exception of a short story I've just posted in WF that I had to write in the middle of last night..due to the snore monster & the flu combined..makes no sense either..
Carry on with your poetry too..& don't forget the young children's challenge ;)
I'm still waiting to hear from all the places I was before..a rejection would do!
Anyway, you've inspired me to blog now, so thank you..2 on the way..one copying Irene's list idea, and the other about the chaos of the last fortnight x

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Tough times but they may just work out well for you. We never like change thrust upon us but it can be the most liberating thing to happen and usually a job pops up just as you need it. write whatever is going to bring in dosh and when you have that, you can write what you really want to. Crack on with the novel! Bon chance!

Anne Brooke said...

Do those three historical chapters. If you need to, write a poem after each one. Then do another poem or several after you've sent the three off. Then back to the novel. Sorted!

:))

A
xxx

JILLS said...

You are all just sooooo sweet! Thank you for all your positive feedbacks. Looks like now is the right time to start the novel, then. I have been researching it and thinking about it for almost ten years - but other stuff always got in the way.

Anne - thank you for your constructive advice - a poem after each chapter. Good idea!

Hugs and kisses all round then.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx